Saturday, July 7, 2012

       Well, here we go! My house is rented for the year I'm away. I'm selling my 20-year-old car. I have the clothes I need, but still have many accoutrements to buy (mosquito repellent, toothpaste and toothbrushes for a year (you laugh--they have told us it is very difficult to purchase things we think are very common). Women even have to bring their own sanitary supplies for a year as they are impossible to purchase! Fortunately, I do not have to worry about that. I had a passport photo taken today so I can take ten copies with me. Apparently, I will be asked for them! I went to my bank today to learn how to make money transfers. Rwanda does not use credit cards; it is a cash economy and they still use francs, a residual from the time they were colonized by Belgium.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are ready for your exciting adventure! I wish you good health and many blessings for the coming year! Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. But the real question is: how many books did you pack?

    And do you need me to line up a bicycle for when you return to Chicago car-less? ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. No bicycle necessary. Part of the deal will be that he loans me the car back long enough for me to locate another car!

    ReplyDelete