Thursday, September 13, 2012

Sept. 13th, yet again.

Here's something that affects my day. When you in the midwest are going to bed, I am getting up. I get the most boring e-mails up until about 2PM my time when you are just beginning to get up to write e-mail. For several hours I get your notes along with a few more boring ones. I go to bed around 10PM, so I miss some of the missives you send later in your day. This is a description of one of the rhythms in my day.

I come to my office around 8:15A (when you are sleeping), and usually stay till a little after 5P. I go home for lunch. At around 10A and 2:30P, I take a short walk outdoors just to get the kinks out. There is always someone outside to speak to (guards, maintenance people, maybe a faculty person).  At 10A, I am often served tea in my office.  Sometimes also in the afternoon. On the Rwanda Mountain Tea box it states clearly that tea is best with milk and sugar. And the sugar is never white. It is large-grained and a nice light tan in color (from sugar cane).That is the way all Rwandans drink their tea. I believe also it is the way the Romans drank it. It is the way I drink it now. At someplaces they serve "African Tea" which means it's the same combination but already mixed together.


This group photo was taken only yesterday 09/12, when we had the e-learning visit.
People are: (left) Pandora Hardtman, Nursing Professional Issues and Standards, Gaspard, head of  IT at Byumba, Rani Kahn our new midwife to work at Byumba hospital, Jerome Bushumbusho, Director of the Byumba school, yours truly, Innocent, and Nadine Connor. These last two are helping to manage the e-learning group.
These folks brought gorgeous weather. Not one drop of rain fell and the sun shone almost all day! They can come back any time.

Below (or above, or around here somewhere) are photos of two of my favorite Rwandan items: Rwanda Mountain Tea which I call Gorilla Tea and Gorilla matches. The face of the gorilla on the tea box is so kind. The gorilla looks like a kind mother who could feed you lovely tea when you were feeling sad and you would feel better immediately. The Gorilla matches are so tiny as to be barely there; however, they work quite well. They are made of wax which you can feel when you lift one to strike it. There is just something endearing about that tiny box of matches which one would never find in the U.S. I will bring some home to share. (Or maybe they won't let them through. Who knows?)

Bedtime for me!! Good night. Don't work too hard in your afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there sweetie. Really enjoy your posts..I hope you can bring home some Gorilla matches; liked the photos of your house, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Carrol, My name is Alexis, I used to work at Byumba Nursing and midwifery school. I am currently studying in South Africa and I hope to be back soon. Thank you for this wonderful blog you have created, it really reminds me good old days I spent at Byumba. I like the pictures you have posted as well as your comments. Keep it up!!!! Extend my greetings to everyone there. Regards. Alexis

    ReplyDelete