Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sunday, November 4th, 2012

Hello, All,

This entry will not be too long. I spent most of last week traveling in Southern and Southwestern Rwanda with Jerome. We were finally finishing up the last of our hospital site visits to conduct interviews. The geography in the South is not much different except that the hills are not as high. On our way from Kigali to Butare, the site of one of the biggest hospitals and where many doctors train, I noticed a lot of goats tethered in peoples' yards. In fact, you couldn't miss the goats as they were mostly tethered very close to the road. Finally, I realized there were a minimum of two goats in every yard and sometimes more. They were every color imaginable and I wanted one of them! Jerome stopped his car once near a small boy who was leading a goat. I got out and went over to see the goat and the boy. The boy looked at me and said "goat". Ah, an English speaker. Soon there were probably 12 little kids surrounding me and a couple of mothers. It doesn't matter where one stops, the kids just appear! When I asked the boy the name of the goat, he said "good" keeping up his English vocabulary! Finally, we needed to keep traveling so I said good-bye to the boy and his goat.

I'll also add another animal story. At the hospital at Butare which is surrounded by a bit of park land, I saw some sort of animal moving quickly. To my delight, they were monkeys just moving around in the park. Several mothers and babies, with one baby crying out ever louder and louder to it's mother till she stopped and nursed it. I should see lots of monkeys in Nyungwe National Park where I'll be going at Thanksgiving. Can't wait for that.

Still haven't decided whether to go to one of the election night sleepovers. The U.S. Embassy is also hosting breakfast at 5AM Wed. so people can watch the coverage. All this depends on how I can arrange my transportation.

I've gotten some new leads on materials for my ESL class. I'll be spending tomorrow trying to trace them down. Jerome dropped me off at a book store in Kigali so I could see if I could find magazines there. Everything was in French!! Can you imagine Time Magazine translated into French? They also had a great spread of office supplies, something I've seen no where else. Our school here barely has paper for the printer and when I asked for paper clips they were given to me one by one! I finally bought myself some lined paper and a clipboard. In addition to the ESL class, I will be teaching a course called "Communications". Sounds like they belong together. I still have to find out exactly what it's about. At the bookstore I also bought a couple of issues of the International Herald Tribune--the first newspaper I'd read since landing in Rwanda. I devoured them!

I've had a very quiet weekend, which was fine with me after the week on the road. I do have to confess to a weakness that got away from me one evening. I decided to open a jar of peanut butter to spread on something. Before I knew it I was dipping right into the jar with a spoon. That peanut butter was really good. Then I remembered the Nutella in the cabinet. I had a couple of spoonsful of Nutella, then decided the two spreads would taste really swell together! And they did! This is what I've been reduced to in my little African home!

Have a great week, Everyone.
CA




1 comment:

  1. Hello Carrol! I really enjoyed reading your blog. Your search for ESL materials caught my eye. I'm just now finishing the tutorial for Literacy Volunteers of Western Cook County (one of my retirement projects). It's out of Jesse White's office and is very thorough. Chapter 10 is about tutoring ESL with links at the end of the chapter to more ESL resources. Here's the link: http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/library/literacy/oltt/home.html

    ReplyDelete