Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sunday, February 24, 2013

I was so disheartened when, three weeks ago, I put in all my photos of the safari in Tanzania and all the text that went along with them, and somehow it got erased when I published it. I haven't been able to get myself to do it over again until now. But the photos are good (some are daughter, Kate's) and we had such a good time, I had to get back to it! It was just this date one month ago that we returned to Rwanda from Tanzania and Kate and Don (my brother) flew back to the U.S. on the 25th. I'm afraid their visit made me more homesick. It is a good thing my tenure here is more than half over.

After we had seen the gorillas we headed straight for Kigali again so we could fly to Arusha, Tanzania. It took us a whole day to get there (about 490 miles) as we changed planes on the way in Nairobi and Dar es Saalam. Actually, the plan flew into Kilomanjaro instead of Arusha, so we got to see the famous mountain. I wish we had had time to get out of the airports in those cities so I could really get a feel for them, but that was not the case. We took a cab the 70 miles to Arusha and once there we spent the night and found our safari outfit the next AM. Charles was our cook and Bryceson was our guide/driver. We were the only ones in the overland truck so we had Charles and Bryceson to ourselves which was very nice. We camped in tents at night. We just had to place any food (my Peppermint Bark!!) in the truck as the bushpigs are always on the lookout.

The first of the four days out we did a game drive in Manyara National Park. We saw elephants, giraffes, and the first of many lions. This elephant was only a few feet from our truck! This giraffe is watching us watching herself! I wonder if they know how beautiful they are?








The baby zebra above is kicking up his heels, but no one seems to pay any attention. The reddish color you see is true--this is an immature zebra.










The second and third days on safari we spent on the famous Serengeti Plain (Serengeti means "Endless") and, yes, it did seem endless for as far as the eye could see. This is where we really began to see lots of game.



These are the wildebeests. They and the zebras are  two of the large groups that migrate around the Serengeti every year in a big circle, following the rainfall. The wildebeests calve in February. The main part of the migration happens in May, June, and July. Many babies are lost at this time. Here is a great website explaining the migration in more detail--better than I would! http://www.expertafrica.com/tanzania/info/serengeti-wildebeest-migration




Not gorgeous, but interesting.










The next several photos are of lions and leopards.


Lioness resting in tree.


This pride had recently killed a wildebeest. Each has a piece to eat!


The following is a sequence of shots of a pride moving from one place to another. It is treacherous with all the babies.






Look closely at the two cats on the bottom branch.


You should have seen the stars while we were out on the Serengeti. No obstacles and no lights. The stars were fantastic. We saw Orion every night even though he is considered a constellation of the Northern Hemisphere.

I think I will stop for now and not try to do too much at once. There is still much more to come from this fantastic trip.

























 

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful blog post...so good to hear more about the trip...at least now I know why it took you a while to get back to it!! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pictures, Carrol! Thanks for sharing! My sone and I are enjoying the lion pictures.

    ReplyDelete